As Ramadan approaches, Muslims around the country will be preparing to welcome the arrival of this blessed month, which will include buying dates to break their fasts.
Leeds Palestine Solidarity Campaign would like to draw your attention to a very important campaign that we run annually, and we hope that you can support us.
Every year, Israel exports millions of pounds worth of dates to the world, which many people buy and use to break their fasts. These dates are grown in illegal settlements in the West Bank and the Jordan Valley, on land that has been stolen from Palestinians. By buying these dates, we are in fact helping Israel to continue its occupation and oppression of the Palestinian people.
As a guide please avoid the following companies:
- Carmel – also under the names of Agrexco, Jordan Plains and Jordan Valley
- Hadiklaim – also under the names of King Solomon Dates and Jordan River
They also supply Israeli dates to supermarkets who market them under their own brand names. These include Marks & Spencer’s, Sainsbury’s, Tesco’s, and Waitrose, often labelled as from West Bank or Jordan Valley.
The focus right now is encouraging shops, wholesalers and importers not to source their dates from Israel. We would like to ask if your Mosque/Shop/Organisation would like to help with this and support the campaign. The boycott movement is growing very quickly and more and more people will no longer buy dates that come from Israel.
There are varieties of dates from various other countries to source your dates from. However if you would like Medjoul dates from Palestine and help the Palestinian farmers they are available from YAFFA. You can also order these dates through Friends of Al-Aqsa (e-mail: email@example.com), as they are helping to distribute them this year. Another provider is Zaytoun (www.zaytoun.org.uk).
We have seen a huge shift in the way the state of Israel and the occupation is viewed globally – however, there is still a lot of work to be done. This is your chance to be a part of the free Palestine movement.
Latest News ArticlesBoycott Israeli Dates
- #CheckTheLabel Info Cards 27/05/2016 FOA ...
- Abu Baker shop on Roundhay Road is selling Palestinian Yaffa Dates 17/07/2013 We are glad to say that so far we have not seen any Israeli dates for sale in the Harehills area of Leeds, in fact, some shops, including Abu Baker are selling Yaffa Palestinian Medjoul dates. Thanks to everyone who has been asking where their local shop...
- Check The Label - Boycott Israeli Dates - Get involved! 25/04/2013 FoA This Ramadan, Don't Break your Fast with an Israeli Date Ramadan is a time of year when we remember those who are less fortunate than ourselves. It would be an affront if at such a time we helped support oppression Every year, Israel export...
- Mislabelled Morrisons own brand packaging found in illegal Israeli settlement Tomer 03/02/2013 CorporateWatch Posted on February 1, 2013 by Tom Anderson and Therezia Cooper Labels manufactured for packaging Morrisons own brand Medjoul dates found in the illegal Israeli settlement of Tomer On February 9th a coalition of civil society g...
- Check The Label - Boycott Israeli Dates 19/07/2012 FOA This Ramadan, Don't Break your Fast with an Israeli Date Ramadan is a time of year when we remember those who are less fortunate than ourselves. It would be an affront if at such a time we helped support oppression Every year, Israel exports m...
- Buy Palestinian Dates (by YAFFA www.yaffa.co.uk) in Leeds! 12/08/2011 You can find Palestinian dates by YAFFA in some local shops in Leeds. Please check the label and avoid Israeli dates this Ramadan. More information of Leeds Boycott Israeli Dates Champaign here. Support Palestinian farmers and producers - buy Yaffa pro...
- Boycott Israeli Dates Campaign 2011 06/06/2011 On Monday 9th May 2011, Leeds Palestine Solidarity Campaign launched its Boycott Israeli Dates Campaign. Building on the success of last year's campaign, this year's has been launched earlier with the aim of making it bigger and more effective. Ramadan...
- Media and Public Launch of Check the Label 22/04/2011 FOA. On 10th May, FOA and Zaytoun will be launching the Check the Label – Boycott Israeli dates campaign. Every year, Israel exports millions of pounds worth of dates to the world, which many people unknowingly buy and use to break their fasts. ...
- Israeli Blood Dates - Leeds Inspector's report! 16/08/2010 Every Ramadan Israel floods the European markets with dates, which enrich its economy thereby helping it continue its oppression of the Palestinian people. Many Muslims are unaware of this and unwittingly purchase Israeli dates, thereby supporting the Isr...
- New Labelling at Morrisons! 09/02/2010 New labelling have appeared in Morrisons. It is now good to see this information about goods from illegal Israeli settlements in West Bank. This would not have happened if you the consumers did not put the pressure on supermarkets and the government. This...
Actions You Can Take
- Contact and inform consumers.
- Try and involve family and friends in the campaign.
- Give a letter to give to local grocery shops, greengrocers, etc. that serve the Muslim community. The letter asks the the shopkeeper not stock Israeli dates this Ramadan. Only one letter, with perhaps 3-6 people signing it, needs to be given to each shop (along with a leaflet which identifies the brands to avoid).
- Let the shop know that they can buy dates from many other countries, but if they want to buy medjoul dates from Palestine they can contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 0116 2125 441 or Zaytoun on 0207 609 5699
- Keep in touch with the shops that you have approached and continue to encourage and support them to join the campaign.
- Contact and inform the wholesalers. Identify the wholesalers, importers and shops in your area hand deliver the wholesaler/shop letters supplied by FOA. Inform them about Israeli human rights abuses (you can give them Leeds PSC or FOA leaflets).
- Arrange a Boycott Israel awareness event in their community where you can show a video about Israeli dates, give out the leaflets and ask people to sign the letters addressed to local shops serving the community. (one letter per shop which everyone signs)
- Identify Mosques and Community Centres in your area and hand deliver the Mosque/organisation letter supplied by FOA. Inform them about Israeli human rights abuses (you can give them Leeds PSC or FOA leaflets).
- Ask the Mosques and Community Centres if you can leave leaflets at the entrance and put up a poster.
- Organise a time with friends and family to distribute outside the mosque after prayers, especially after Friday prayers.
- Let Leeds PSC know when you are planning to distribute outside mosques so we can try and co-ordinate with other volunteers.
- Contact your local newspaper and your local radio Ramadan to let them know what is happening.
Remember to to write down addresses of shops which agree to support the campaign so they can be thanked and also shops that ignore so they can be named and shamed. Take pictures and videos of the campaign.